Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lola's Birthday



On July 3, we had a call from the social worker, Sarah, who was out of town for the holiday weekend letting us know that April had been to the hospital because of labor pains, and indicated that the baby (at the time, we didn't know boy or girl) would most likely be born in the next few days. We were on the way to take my father-in-law to the airport as he was in town for Rodney's back surgery.
We got Jay dropped off for his flight and headed straight for Babies R Us for a car seat. We knew nothing else about babies, but we DID know you have to have a car seat!
After Babies R Us, April called us and releived our anxiety a bit as she said she was going to work on the 4th and had plans to watch the fire works...HA! Here's the post from the day she was born:
Baby Lola Raye Sherrard came a bit early and a bit unexpected! We got a call about 4:45 from April, letting us know that her water broke in the wee hours of the morning and she was at the hospital and they were going to induce.
We, of course, sprinted out of bed and started making arrangements for me to get to Grand Junction--Rodney, having just had surgery, has not seen his doc since and we were also just not ready for both of us to be gone from home just yet. So I hopped on a plane this morning at 7:15 to hopefully get here in time to cut the cord...literally! Unfortunately, little Lola was quite anxious to greet the world and arrived at 12:11 p.m. via c-section. My flight got in at 12:09! Our wonderful friend Tom met me at the airport and got me here in time to be there for Lola's first bath, her first diaper (all the lovely tests) and I was the one who got to feed her for the first time. Still waiting on the tarry diaper to appear! I'm getting the hang of the swaddle and am pondering the fact that little Lola has a better hospital gown than Rodney did on Tuesday when he was at the hospital.
Uncle Tom will be back in a few...since it's just me right now, I'm anchored to the room until Rodney gets here(which is fine by me) I needed me some Sonic, so Uncle Tom will be back with dinner, a lime Diet Coke, his camera, and a CELL PHONE CHARGER because, in my haste, I left home with a dead phone and only my car charger. More photos to come...she is healty, beautiful, 10 fingers and 10 toes, and for those of you interested, came in weighing 6 lbs. and was 18 inches long.
After getting settled at the hospital, I realized that I had only packed 3 pair of pants and one shirt. Totally forgot my tooth brush and toothpaste. Brought one pair of shoes. I was a little out of sorts that morning!




Thank goodness for Tom, he set us up nicely and knew exactly what we would need when leaving the hospital! We have used every bit!

0 comments: