Monday, April 16, 2012

New Words and Phrases

We have started speech with Lola. It's been almost a month since that started. We are making some fairly good strides with that, but will be sad to lose some of the phrases that she says that we've come to love. Here are a list of some of my favorites and their translations:

pokin -- pumpkin
hongee -- hungry
hold you -- pick me up (hold me)
canee -- candy
save you -- help! daddy is trying to put me to bed!
milamade -- lemonade
I likee more -- I don't like that (complete with a hand wave)
I love more -- I love you  more (awwww!)

These are some of our favorites. She also has some phrases that she says just fine, but we are told she says them, not because she knows the individual words, but they are sayings she's picked up:

whatcha doin in there?
what's that noise?
bye boges.
blanket's in the car. (or chuchu, or sippy, etc. etc. etc)

Our speech therapist, Shannon, is coming every Monday morning to work with Lola. She has some toys that she brings out to get Lola to do what she wants her to do. She has a potato head family that is Lola's favorite. In order to get a part of the potato head, she has to say "I want . . ." and say it correctly, in order to get the piece.  Lola talks about the potato heads all week long. Shannon also has her blow whistles and various objects that she blows in. She likes those too. They are trying to strengthen her mouth muscles.

We're pretty sure pokin and hongee are going to stay around a while, even when Lola can say them right!

2 comments:

Nancy F. said...

I totally understand loving certain phrases! When I nannied, Dani would say "I welcome"...took a bit to figure out she took "Say you're welcome" quite literally! I was so sad to see it go away.

Victoria Sherrard said...

Oh, I forgot "tay to" for "thank you".